nanog mailing list archives

Re: Drop in IPv6 traffic

From: Mikael Lind <mikael () gogo6 com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:46:34 +0200

Freenet6 went from about 200Mb/s to less than 10Mb/s when we lost both
XSnews and XS4all. I thought it would be more torrent traffic but I guess we
now know what it actually is.
Cheers,
Mikael

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jeroen Wunnink <jeroen () easyhosting nl>wrote:

If I look at a tcpdump of our teredo relay which is announced to all our
AMS-IX peers (and some partial and full transits), there's a lot of nntp and
quite some torrent packets going over there, so it seems the majority of
IPv6 traffic is due to content providers like XSnews providing 'freebies' to
what otherwise would be a paid service.

We've seen the same with our Eweka/Highwinds partial transit, once we
announce 2001::/32 there, there's suddenly a big increase in traffic over
our teredo from other exchange points prefixes we get from them, heading to
free IPv6 news services some dutch providers hand out.

Also, coincedence ?: http://www.sixxs.net/misc/traffic/