nanog mailing list archives

Re: Security team successfully cracks SSL using 200 PS3's and MD5

From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews () isc org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:10:47 +1100

In message <4962E096.7070409 () karnaugh za net>, Colin Alston writes:
On 2009/01/05 10:47 PM Randy Bush wrote:
perhaps i am a bit slow.  but could someone explain to me how trust in
dns data transfers to trust in an http partner and other uses to which
ssl is put?

I must also be slow. Can someone tell me how DNSSEC is supposed to
encrypt my TCP/IP traffic?

        DNSSEC allows you to go from dns name -> CERT in a secure
        manner.   The application then checks that the cert used to
        establish the ssl session is one from the CERT RRset.

        Basically when you pay your $70 or whatever for the CERT
        record you are asking the CA to assert that you have the
        right to use the domain name.  It's expensive because they
        are not part of existing DNS trust relationship setup when
        the domain was delegated in the first place.

        The natural place to look for DNS trust is in the DNS.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews () isc org