nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lots of prepends - AS20912 case

From: Mathias Sundman <mathias () openvpn se>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:58:36 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Dorn Hetzel wrote:

Replacing what is conventially thought to be a string with an integer
multiplier seems a massive violation of the principle of least astonishment.

3. Prepend number of times entered modulo 256, is just broken.

In v3.20 of RouterOS (Mikrotik) it seems to fixed (havn't checked earlier releases), so they must have been running an old version of RouterOS if that was the platform they was using in this case, that I think someone was indicating.

[admin@router1] /routing filter> set 1 set-bgp-prepend=20912
value of set-bgp-prepend out of range (0..16)

[admin@router1] /routing filter> set 1 set-bgp-prepend=17
value of set-bgp-prepend out of range (0..16)

I think having an option to prepend the AS-PATH with an integer multiplier is pretty convenient, just as they have checks like bgp-as-path-length=0 to check the lengh of AS-PATHs without writing regexps. But there should of course also be normal text prepends and regexp checks. With a check that no more than 16 are added, like the current version enforces misstakes like this shouldn't be possible.

--
http://openvpn.se/               / \   NO Word docs in e-mail