nanog mailing list archives

Re: Global Blackhole Service

From: Matthew Moyle-Croft <mmc () internode com au>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 10:32:35 +1030

Florian Weimer wrote:
If you want to run a public exchange point, you need to solve the same announcement validation problem. Multiple organizations appear to do it successfully, so it can't be that difficult.
How exactly do you do "validation"? If I give you a list of ASes and prefixes, what can you do to validate that they're ones I can actually announce on behalf of someone else? I can put whatever I want in an AS-SET (etc) pretty much. How do you actually check that I have the right relationship with a customer (or customer of a customer of a customer etc)? To put it into context - the approach of stuffing other people's ASes in a path to prevent them learning it is wide spread, especially in Asia - I've seen AS-SETs with all sorts of Tier1/2 ASes even though I know that they have no transit relationship with them!

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia