nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network diagram software

From: David Andersen <dga () cs cmu edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:48:24 -0500

On Feb 11, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

I'd like to put a second request.  I often want to very quickly
mock-up a diagram that I'm going to use for myself or for internal
purposes.

Is there any application that takes some kind of *simple* description
and produces a (possibly not so beautiful) picture?  For example, I
might say something like:

        Router(rtr1) connects to vlan 100
        Router(rtr2) connects to Router(rtr1) via T1
        switch(sw1) connects to vlan100
        switch(sw2) connects to Router(rtr2)
        A few hosts connect to Switch(sw1)
        A few hosts connect to Switch(sw2)

The aforementioned graphviz program "dot" (and friends) will do exactly this.

http://www.graphviz.org/

There's a command-line version and a spiffy GUI version for the mac.

It's a great way to go. It may be unsurprising that it was an at&t project.

  -Dave