nanog mailing list archives

RE: RBN and it's spin-offs

From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf () dessus com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:05:19 -0500

Reportedly started by someone operating under the name
"Flyman," RBN is known as the mother of cybercrime among
online investigators. François Paget, senior expert for
the McAfee company, says that RBN began as an Internet
provider and offered "impenetrable" hosting for $600 a
month.  This meant a guarantee that it would not give
out information about its clients, no matter what
business they were in.

This is a commendable position and one that should be the
default for all businesses.  Severe penalties (such as cutting
out of the tongue or cutting off hands) should be dealt to
anyone who releases private information without having first
ensured that such disclosure is in accordance with a properly
obtained court order issued by a competent court in a public
hearing (and no, administrative tribunals are not courts of law).

Wow.  I always knew there existed some alternate universe where the
RBN were actually the good guys.  Didn't expect to find it so fast,
and on nanog at that.

Wasn't it Larry Flynt that said: "Because if its good enough to
protect a scumbag like me its sure darn good enough to protect
all of you".

Without a warrant, there is an absolute right to privacy.
It continues to exist right up until either (a) one party chooses
to give up that privacy or (b) a third party arrives with a Court
Order.  This is simply a covenant between two parties to preserve
that "private" state unless lawfully compelled by lawful process
otherwise.  In other words, a covenant to adhere to the rule of
law and the courts in the event of any dispute between the parties
or any third party.  It sure seems like a good thing to me -- and a
covenant I would hope anyone I do business adheres to.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org