nanog mailing list archives

Re: Revisiting the Aviation Safety vs. Networking discussion

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () rancid berkeley edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 11:38:37 -0800

On 12/25/09 7:57 AM, Anton Kapela wrote:

What I'm getting at is that after following this thread for a while,
I'm not convinced any amount of process-borrowing is going to solve
problems better, faster, or even avoid them in the first place. At
best, our craft is 1/3rd as "old" (if that's somehow I measure of
maturity) as flight and nobody is being sued to settle 200+ accidental
deaths because of our mistakes.

So, we're supposed to make the mistakes of aviation, nuclear power, the chemical industry (i.e. Bhopal), oil production & refining, etc., all over again?

Checklists and MOPs are but one of the things we ignore from other industries. Some others:

o Increasing complexity and tight coupling lead to systemic failures. Simply grafting redundancy onto complex systems can make them less, not more, reliable. Yet this is the trend in networking. "Want bells and whistles, firewalls, load-balancers, rate-limiters in your network? You can have 'em without sacrificing reliability if you just buy two of 'em!"

o The gradual acceptance of components or procedures that have adequate reliability for a certain task (say, research) that are not reliable enough for another task (e.g. being a critical part of a 1,000 megawatt nuclear power plant) without understanding the implications. Do we know how our technology is being used and will be used? Will the people adopting IP for everything (the "smart grid," VoIP, life-supporting functions) fail to see these implications just as the people who shoved a fissile core into a pressure vessel did?

This last point directly contradicts the theme of your message. The notion that what we do is not (yet) a matter of life-or-death has bitten other industries in the past and it provides a nice illustration of why we should *not* be ignoring their lessons.

michael