nanog mailing list archives

Re: Revisiting the Aviation Safety vs. Networking discussion

From: Dave Israel <davei () otd com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:48:35 -0500

I _do_ create action plans and _do_ quarterback each step and _do_
slap down any attempt to deviate.
imagine a network engineering culture where the concept of 'attempt to
deviate' just does not occur.

Are you trying to suggest that this is something horrible, or that it's the future of network engineering? :)

I'm actually serious in asking the question, despite the grin.

Possibly, he is trying to hint at a connection with Nazis, so somebody will mention it, invoking Godwin's Law, and bringing a fruitless religious thread to a close.

There's a full range of methods, with "just do it" on one side, "deviation is terms for dismissal" on the other, and plenty of shades of gray in between. I've seen both extremes result in excessive downtime. (How impromptu engineering can go wrong shouldn't take much imagination; the "no deviation" rule is especially hysterical when the backout plan doesn't work, but even without that, the "one thing didn't work exactly right, back it out and try again in two weeks" effect is destructive to both progress and morale.) Working with the dynamic and quality of the team is more important than any change management paradigm.

-Dave