nanog mailing list archives

Re: sink.arpa question

From: Jason Bertoch <jason () i6ix com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:12:26 -0500

Ted Hardie wrote:
Silly question: how well would using 1.0.0.257.in-addr.arpa match the
need identified in draft-jabley-sink-arpa ?

It seems like it would be equally well guaranteed to be non-existant
(short of change in the def of IPv4 and in-addr.arpa).  Like
sink.arpa, it would get you a valid SOA and nothing else.

Am I missing something, or is this operationally equivalent?

regards,

Ted

Isn't the fundamental problem that SMTP can fall back to an implicit MX? None of these solutions will stop spammers from skipping MX records and using direct-to-host connections. Shouldn't we just consider dropping the implicit MX back door as opposed to getting creative with MX records that spammers will surely note and avoid anyway?