nanog mailing list archives

Re: Leaving public peering?

From: Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:52:10 -0500

On Dec 2, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Lasher, Donn wrote:

This year I've been seeing what appears to be an increasing trend among
service providers.. making the decision to leave public peering. I'm
sure others on this list as seeing that trend as well. I have a couple
of guesses, but I'm curious , and I wanted to get some other thoughts as
to the "why".

I don't have exact numbers, but off the top of my head, I'd guess
somewhere around two dozen of our peers have left various peering
exchanges. Quick couple I checked still appear to be operational as a
company, so I'm willing to remove "death" as a valid reason.

I have some "hard numbers" from LINX.  LINX receives 1 new member request per week.  There were a handful of
cancelations in the last year.  Doesn't seem to me like a lot of people are leaving public peering.

It is not surprising that some networks turn down their peering - just the opposite.  Business models change, special
offers pop up, etc.  Someone is going to turn down their peering.  Instead of looking at the outliers, look at the fact
more ASes are peering in more places than ever before.

Peering on the Internet is robust, growing, and happy.

--
TTFN,
patrick

I realized that paid transit is down at almost obscene levels, but is
that enough of a reason to increase hop-count, latencies, etc?

Why disconnect from public mostly-free peering?

-donn