nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Addressing Help

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:03:05 +1000

On 15/08/2009, at 4:34 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

I'm going to contradict you there. Classful addressing had a lot to
recommend it. The basic problem we ran in to was that there weren't
enough B's for everyone who needed more than a C and there weren't
enough A's period. So we started handing out groups of disaggregate
C's and that path led to the swamp.

the swamp preceeded cidr

and, if you had a bit of simple arithmetic clue, you would realize that, unless you are prescient, you will always run out of some classes before others. as we are very poor at predicting the future, there was no win
to be had in classful.

This is really this basis of my reply, so, I'll just say +1

Read about how sparse allocation/binary chop stuff works. You get the same amount of routes in your IGP table (or less) but it's much more flexible.

--
Nathan Ward