nanog mailing list archives

Re: Concerning MPLS paths

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 05:13:05 -0400

On Apr 28, 2009, at 4:51 AM, Saqib Ilyas wrote:

Anyone?

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Saqib Ilyas <msaqib () gmail com> wrote:

Furthermore, I was also wondering, if the bandwidth constraints are upper bounds, what does the traffic distribution typically look like at an LSR?

It clearly depends on what that traffic is.

The MPLS services I am most familiar with carry video traffic, with traffic patterns that look very different from the typical web site (generally the traffic is either on or off, there is very little "burstiness," there can be long periods of basically full usage of the available bandwidth and, if you commit to X Mbps, you had better actually have it, not X - epsilon). I would guess that this is one end of the spectrum, that bursty web traffic is the other, and that most other uses (such as VOIP) fall somewhere in between.

Regards
Marshall

We're interested in traffic within a single service provider, non- Internet traffic. Perhaps most service providers set aside some (dynamic?) pool for Internet traffic, while making commitments to customer's inter-site traffic.
Thanks and best regards