nanog mailing list archives

Re: downloading speed

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:59:34 -0700

chandrashakher pawar wrote:

No errors on the interface.
none of our customer on this router has complait us this issue
i have changed this to "negotiation auto" as suggested by one of our member.
tommorow customer will test again and reply.
round-trip-time is good, no bacbone chocked.
Unit will not make bit differnce as: The customer tried troubleshooting the
issue after connecting laptop directily to the 100 mbps link.
In that case also the result was same.

Note that your screenshot displays bytes, not bits. So it will display one-eighth the download speed measured in bits.

Check the TCP tuning on the downloading PC. The fact that multiple windows achieve a higher aggregate speed points to this. Use the Google link I supplied earlier, also search "Bandwidth-delay product". Are both ends of the link a substantial geographic distance (several miles) apart?

Note that the adjustments for TCP tuning are to the TCP stack on the machine doing the download, not the network gear.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay () impulse net