nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon EVDO Issues

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:27:02 -0400

"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu> writes:

Interesting.  I never had that behavior exhibited on my old PCMCIA
card on Verizon or on my u727 on Sprint.  What OS platform were
you on lappie-wise?

I run NetBSD but I know that the problem also showed up on Linux -- a
friend who worked for an equipment vendor also saw it, and he checked
the actual EVDO specs.

We suspect the problem doesn't show up for Windows users because
Windows appears to terminate all connections with extreme prejudice
when the link goes away, so there won't be any TCP transmissions to
induce the failure.

Didn't have the problem manifest itself on MacOSX (10.4, 10.5)  either...

-r