nanog mailing list archives

Re: an effect of ignoring BCP38

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:24:43 -0700

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:59:39 +0300 (EEST)
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas () netcore fi>

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Jo Rhett wrote:
On Sep 11, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
By the time you walk our list of upstreams to any of the '5 biggest
anything', you've gotten to places where our multihomed status
means you can't filter our source address very easily (or more
properly, where you can't filter multihomed sources in general).

I don't agree with this statement.  I hear this a lot, and it's not really
true.  Being multihomed doesn't mean that your source addresses are likely to
be random.  (or would be valid if they were)

A significant portion of our customers, and *all* of the biggest paying ones,
are multihomed.  And they might have a lot of different ranges, but we know
what the ranges are and filter on those.

If you can manage ACLs for these customers, that's fine.  But maybe
your multihomed customers and '5 biggest anything' customers are
different.  Maybe your multihomed customer has 5 prefixes.  The big
ones could have 5000.  That's a pretty big ACL to manage.

It's big, but not un-workable. Just looking at our lists, the longest is
over 212K entries and we have 5 over 5K and 20 over 1K. We would have
even bigger ones if the IRR had more complete information.

I'll admit that doing this for a tier-1 would probably not work, though
I have never been able to try as the requisite information is not
publicly available.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)