nanog mailing list archives

Re: ingress SMTP

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:38:46 -0400

Mark Foster <blakjak () blakjak net> writes:

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

We don't allow most of our residential customer base to speak SMTP
TCP/25 to anywhere at all (and we have millions of them). Wish more
ISPs would do the same.

Probably fair enough, if you as an ISP can get away with enforcing
this sort of policy then so much the better.

However relaying through your own ISPs 25/tcp should surely then make
it relatively easy for noise to be tracked down and nailed at the
source - by ISPs?  (Do abuse@ desks investigate spam these days?)

As others have noted, intercepting 25 breaks SPF.  It also
gratuitously creates weird anomalous behaviour that is much harder for
a reasonably clued person to debug than a simple blocked port, so it's
more likely to buy you a help desk call (with a subtle problem that
your level 1 folks probably can't get sorted anyway).  Perhaps you
aren't in a position where you have to care about the balance sheets,
but keeping the load off the help desk is a wonderful thing to do in
terms of cost control.  Doing traffic analysis looking for noise is
just extra work for your abuse people - when I was setting policy for
this sort of thing we put a cap at 1000 discrete destinations per day
per authenticated user (with a daily report of who'd busted it, and
most days the report was 0) and only once ran into a problem where
someone was legitimately trying to send mail to a bajillion people and
called the help desk.

-r