nanog mailing list archives

Re: Force10 Gear

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 23:49:43 +0800

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008, David Newman wrote:

1. Set IP options. A pair of Cat 6509Es using VSS can forward packets
without options at up to 770 mpps, but when packets have options the
maximum is more like 20 kpps. And that's a "high-speed" example; the
options forwarding rate is more like 0 pps with some other devices.
Silicon that forwards packets very fast is only good when header lengths
are fixed.

So what you're saying is "send the right crafted packets and DoS the internet",
right?

(I think I know which options may make routers go all software-path on the
packets but I haven't given it a run on a Cat6500. Hm, I wonder if this here
3750 in the lab will do..)

Adrian