nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google's PUE

From: Tony Finch <dot () dotat at>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:31:00 +0100

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

Personally, I am glad GOOG is posting their PUE.  People who talk about
additional metrics are correct - more information is better. But some
information is better than none, and PUE is a perfectly valid data
point. It doesn't measure everything, but that does not make it
completely useless. Given Google's history of .. shall we say reticence
regarding internal information, it's nice to see SOMETHING from them.
So let's encourage it and see if they release more.

Also relevant is this paper:
"Power provisioning for a warehouse-sized computer"
http://research.google.com/archive/power_provisioning.pdf

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot () dotat at>  http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT: WEST 5 OR 6 VEERING NORTHWEST 6 TO GALE 8, BACKING SOUTHWEST 5