nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering - Benefits?

From: Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 01:22:46 -0400

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 03:28:04PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:17:45 EDT, Paul Stewart said:

I can think of some but looking to develop a concrete list of appealing
reasons etc. such as:

-control over routing between networks
-security aspect (being able to filter/verify routes to some degree)
-latency/performance

I'm surprised you didn't include "chance to pick up a redundant connection".
...specifically, in non-carrier-owned colos you have a better chance of
factoring out loop costs for pricing decisions.

A couple to add:
- failure scoping: issues on a remote network can be better isolated
  from the rest of your traffic (or completely if it is the peer).
- product variation: if you sell connectivity, a different/diverse/rich
  set of paths to offfer your downstreams is a win.

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE