nanog mailing list archives

Re: Some odd harvesting going on?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 07:21:22 -0400

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 04:16:22PM -0400, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
To prove that your message was sent by a human and not a computer, please
visit the URL below and type in the alphanumeric text you will see in the
image. You will be asked to do this only once for this recipient.

This doesn't look to me like phishing (although I can see the
similarities); it looks like yet another severely clueless site engaged
in challenge-response spamming. (C-R has long since been not only
completely discredited as an anti-spam tactic, but has been recognized
as a spam vector.  Hosts emitting it are subject to blacklisting,
in the same way and for much the same reason that hosts emitting
backscatter/outscatter are.)

---Rsk