nanog mailing list archives

Re: IOS Rookit: the sky isn't falling (yet)

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:10:29 -0700

Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>

On Tue, 27 May 2008, goemon () anime net wrote:
Are you buying directly from cisco or from resellers? If you are getting
counterfeit hardware directly from cisco then I guess we have real problems.

According to the FBI presentation, which may not be a reliable source
for this topic, Cisco has very few "direct" customers.

Even if you think you are ordering "direct" from Cisco, e.g.
www.cisco.com, the order seems to get forwarded to several primary Cisco
resellers and the hardware shipped via a reseller.  Even most resellers
buy their Cisco products from a primary reseller or a secondary reseller,
not direct from Cisco.

The FBI presentation did note that a few US Cisco customers, such as some
unnamed large US telcos and unnamed intelligence agencies, do order and
ship directly from Cisco.

A lot of folks order from  a reseller and Cisco  ships directly. This is
true for  many section 8a  resellers when selling to organizations under
those purchasing mandates...anyone spending  federal $$$. I suspect some
states have similar requirements. (Section 8a gives preference to small,
minority owned, and disadvantaged businesses.)

In any case, the reseller never sees this equipment. I am unclear on how
common this is in the non-8a part of the world, but I suspect a lot of
folks get their stuff direct from Cisco (or Juniper, for that matter),
even though they buy from a reseller, if they are buying bigger boxes
that small resellers are unlikely to stock.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)