nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10GE router resource

From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:49:01 -0400

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Alex Rubenstein <alex () corp nac net> wrote:

 > How sweet is a sub-$1k router that can do multiple gig-e's at 1.5mpps?
 > Sounds like a dynamite platform for high-end datacenter CPEs that are
 > soft
 > on dynamic routing...and even the open-source dynamic routing is
 > reasonably solid these days...

 I can't believe I am about to ask this on a public mailing list, but..

 Has anyone tested this in even a remotely production environment, while
 running any sort of MPLS LDP as a LSR?

bahahaah! oh, sorry...

also, how does all-small-packets performance and reasonable ACL
behaviour work? (reasonable for dos things let's keep under 1k acl
lines) What about IDB-type numbers? is this a 10-interfaces at
line-rate or 10k interfaces at line-rate (line-rate on say ... 8 10G
interfaces)?

Scaling a routing platform in software for high bandwidth services is
difficult... or seems to be at least.

-Chris