nanog mailing list archives

RE: rack power question

From: "Alex Rubenstein" <alex () corp nac net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:43:38 -0400

About 8 months ago we were faced with an expansion issue where our
datacenter upgrade was delayed due to permits. At the time sun had
just
announced their blackbox, now called the S20. During the road trip I
got
to walk through one of these. I found the cooling aspect to be very
interesting. It works on front to back cooling but has what I would
call
radiators are sandwiched between each set of racks. From my
non-technical point of view on HVAC this seemed to reduce a large
amount
of wasted cooling seen in large room datacenters. Is this something we
might see in future fixed datacenters or is this limited to the
portable
data center due to technical limitations ? Due to cost we didn't get
use one but I found the idea very interesting.

I take exception to "wasted cooling" ... Are you saying the laws of
thermodynamics don't apply to heat generated by servers?

I can understand and appreciate the thought process of bad airflow
design, ie, no hot or cold rows, or things of that nature. But you can't
really waste AC.

We're doing a small test deployment of a dozen or so Chatsworth chimney
style cabinets, with ducted returns. When the system is up and running I
will comment on it more, but it seems to make a lot more sense that what
we all have been doing for the last 10 years.

As for the Sun S20, is it still painted black? :)