nanog mailing list archives

Re: Kenyan Route Hijack

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:26:16 +0900

A popular reason from longer ago was enterprises that used
arbitrary addresses for their internal networks,
which was safe because they'd never be connected to the real internet.
RFC1918 has made that problem mostly go away,
but as recently as 1995 I had a customer who was a bank that was
using University of Toronto IP addresses internally.
We were working on their databases, not their networks,
so while we strongly recommended they renumber some time soon,
it wasn't happening during our project.

italian isps are notorious for using us military and other non-announced
networks for infrastructure. i get a bit of a giggle out of it now. but
boy was i shocked when i first did a traceroute from some public network
in bologna years back.

randy