nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cloud service [was: RE: EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)]

From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:45:14 -0400

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Frank Bulk - iNAME <frnkblk () iname com> wrote:
Ken:

Thanks for the info, but that still requires the domain owner to change
their MX records.  I was wondering if there was something that could
literally be placed in the flow of traffic, like an FWSM in transparent
mode.

That probably depends a lot on the topology in question... Doing it on
'ethernet' is far different from doing it on T1 over ATM or
channelized oc-48... A Checkpoint FW can do this sort of thing with a
'security server' (though performance is certainly a question...).

I think you're also always stuck in a store-and-forward mode so 'on
the wire' isn't really helpful for SMTP, often you can't make a
decision about an email without getting a large portion of it down, so
snuffing connections mid-stream isn't going to help your email infra
very much :(

-Chris

Frank