nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 Boston (Comcast NY) handoff packet loss since 11AM EST

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 15:31:24 -0400

You'll notice that there is no loss beyond that router, only at that router.

Routers are in the business of routing packets, not of responding to
mtr, traceroute, ping, etc.  More detailed clue is at
http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/toolquestion/Packet_Loss_Test__Line_Quality_#14068

I do not see a problem here, and neither will Comcast or Level(3).

What made you think there was an issue in the first place?

-r

<ekagan () axsne com> writes:

FYI In case someone can get this to a clue-ful individual.  There was
been severe packet loss at Hop 11 below since 11AM EST this morning
leaving Comcast Mass network out through Level 3 NY/Boston.

I tried to report to Comcast (Request Summary: ID:  6863600) and was met
with less than pleasant clue.  So much for being a good net'izen.  I
agreed my "connection" was fine, but past that there was an issue.  If
there is actually a way to report to Comcast NOC, please advise.

I've also reported to Internap from my side so they can investigate as
well.

Thanks
Eric

Packets               Pings
Hostname
%Loss  Rcv  Snt  Last Best  Avg  Worst
 1. 192.168.100.5
0%   47   47     0    0    0      1
 2. c-3-0-ubr04.brockton.ma.boston.comcast.net
0%   47   47     7    6    8     16
 3. ge-2-40-ur01.brockton.ma.boston.comcast.net
0%   47   47     7    6    8     13
 4. 68.85.162.73
0%   47   47    10    8   10     16
 5. 68.85.162.58
0%   47   47    15   11   13     32
 6. 68.85.162.57
0%   47   47    14   11   13     19
 7. te-0-10-0-5-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net
0%   46   46    46   45   46     53
 8. xe-11-1-0.edge1.NewYork2.Level3.net
0%   46   46    45   44   52    175
 9. vlan69.csw1.NewYork1.Level3.net
0%   46   46    52   44   52     60
10. ae-61-61.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net
0%   46   46    45   45   51     60
11. ae-1-8.bar2.Boston1.Level3.net
50%   23   46    51   49   54    104
12. ae-0-11.bar1.Boston1.Level3.net
0%   46   46   118   49   58    174
13. ae-7-7.car1.Boston1.Level3.net
0%   46   46    50   49   52     67
14. 63.211.175.26
0%   46   46    53   49   60    215
15. border7.ge6-2-bbnet2.bsn.pnap.net
0%   46   46   154   50   60    187
16. host-4-64-203-66.axsne.net
0%   46   46    52   51   54     93

Minimum = 54ms, Maximum =  227ms, Average =  62ms

Eric Kagan
Access Northeast
24 x 7 NOC: 508-281-7600 x4