nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cable Colors

From: Shaun Ewing <s.ewing () aussiehq com au>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:07:39 +1000

On 17/06/08 10:47 AM, "Shaun Ewing" <s.ewing () aussiehq com au> wrote:

And there you have it. Finding the group of backbone cables (as an example)
out of a bundle of cables is much easier when they're a different colour.

What colours we use depends on what area of the network we're in.

For example (for the DC):

- Access layer (ie: to servers): Blue
- Management network (KVM, power, etc): Green
- Private network (internal only): Black
- Inter-rack links (don't touch): yellow
- Network uplinks (really don't touch): red

And, as I forgot to mention.

Crossover cables are the same colours based on their function above with a
different colour boot (red, unless the cable itself is red).

-Shaun