nanog mailing list archives

Re: Exploit for DNS Cache Poisoning - RELEASED

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:01:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> wrote:
Except this time your reply comes with an additional record
containing the IP for www.gmail.com to the one you want to redirect it
to.

Thought that was the normal technique for cache poisoning.  I'm pretty
sure that at some point, code was added to BIND to actually implement
this whole bailiwick system, rather than just accepting arbitrary out-
of-scope data, which it ... used to do (sigh, hi BIND4).

Joe,

I think that's the beauty of this attack: the data ISN'T out of scope.
The resolver is expecting to receive one or more answers to
00001.gmail.com, one or more authority records (gmail.com NS
www.gmail.com) and additional records providing addresses for the
authority records (www.gmail.com A 127.0.0.1).

I think the response to that is best summarized as **YAWN**.

One of the basic tenets of attacking security is that it works best to
attack the things that you know a remote system will allow.  The
bailiwick system is *OLD* tech at this point, but is pretty much
universally deployed (in whatever forms across various products), so
it stands to reason that a successful attack is likely to involve
either in-scope data, or a bug in the system.

The fact that this was known to be a cross-platform vulnerability
would have suggested an in-scope data attack.  I thought that part was
obvious, sorry for any confusion.

... JG