nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

From: Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:58:40 +1100

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 08:20:36PM -0500, Jeff McAdams wrote:
Joe Abley wrote:
On 20-Jan-2008, at 15:34, William Herrin wrote:

Perhaps your definition of "entry level DFZ router" differs from mine.
I selected a Cisco 7600 w/ sup720-3bxl or rsp720-3xcl as my baseline
for an entry level DFZ router.

A new cisco 2851 can be found for under $10k and can take a gig of RAM.
If your goal is to have fine-grained routing data, and not to carry gigs
of traffic, that particular router is perfectly adequate.

And to take that concept to its logical extreme.

A Linux box (*BSD, pick your poison) running Quagga or similar will do
the job at an extremely low price point.

So if we plug in, say, $2k for the cost of the Linux box, and compare it to
the L3 switch mentioned earlier, each extra prefix saves the Internet around
50c?  <grin>

- Matt

--
"Ah, the beauty of OSS. Hundreds of volunteers worldwide volunteering their
time inventing and implementing new, exciting ways for software to suck."