nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 23:11:46 +0000

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 23:07:16 -0000
"Rod Beck" <Rod.Beck () hiberniaatlantic com> wrote:

Hi Steve,

TransAtlantic cables average three repairs a year. That's the
industry average. So given 7 high capacity cable systems, that's 21
repairs a year.

Now, not all damaged cables go out of service. In fact, most stay in
service until the repair begins.

But the public rarely hears about a TransAtlantic cable going dark.
Yet it does happen quite regularly in the business.

Why? Because there are seven very high capacity (multi-terabit)
systems to route traffic across! There is no need to announce to the
public that a cable been cut.

That is not the case in the Midterranean or the Persian Gulf.

You have only a few systems (relatively low capacity) serving a huge
population. In fact, I suspect Flag is probably the sole provider for
many of these countries.

So yes, when the only guy in town falls down, it's going to be
noticed.

I hope you're right.  As I noted, by profession I'm paranoid.  I've
even contemplated the uses of deliberate cable cuts; see
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/reroute.pdf for some thoughts
from five years ago.

But I hope you're right.