nanog mailing list archives

Re: an over-the-top data center

From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb () netcases net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:12:59 -0500 (EST)

George William Herbert wrote:

Johnny writes:
This discussion about plants, waterfalls and humidity is getting more
and more off-tropic...

Humidity is not off topic for a general or specific datacenter
conversation - it's a fairly routine issue in facilities.

NANOG isn't facilities focused but I think that it comes up
enough (we're not hosting routers in closets anymore) that it's
legit for some discussion.

The plants and waterfalls is probably drifting a bit far afield,
though...

Perhaps not as far as one might think. I once had to work with a large
data center, which was having a huge condensation and eventual corrosion
problem on one side of the room. No one had made the connection that it
was a shared wall with the main building atrium, which had an indoor
waterfall that made quite an evaporative cooler.

Extra wall insulation solved the problem.