nanog mailing list archives

Re: What to do when your ISP off-shores tech support

From: Dave Pooser <dave.nanog () alfordmedia com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 17:36:30 -0500

Macs are macs, Windows is windows and mail is mail whether you're in Mumbai
or Memphis. As long as the language skills are good and the people are well
trained, it should be mostly irrelevant, IMHO.

The problem, IMO is that the sort of organization that wants to reduce labor
costs from $11/hr to $1.50/hr (all numbers made up out of thin air) by
moving tech support offshore is likely to be the sort of organization that
reduces labor costs from $1.50 to $1.15/hr by moving tech support from an
offshoring house that provides well-trained people with good language skills
to one that provides warm bodies and asinine scripts. I'm know there are
good tech support people in India-- I've dealt with some of them-- but the
overwhelming majority of times I've ended talking to Indian tech support
I've gotten people who are as fluent in English as I am in Hindi and as
familiar with the technology they are "supporting" as I am with rebuilding
transmissions ("not at all" and "not at all" respectively).

That said, Merry Christmas to all and I hope Santa brought extra eggnog to
any poor souls working tech support this evening, on any continent.  :^)
--
Dave Pooser, ACSA
Manager of Information Services