nanog mailing list archives

Re: Gigabit Linux Routers

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:55:18 -0600 (CST)

I have posted thos off-list, for the list:
http://www.lannerinc.com/DM/FW-7550_DM.pdf
pros: cheap, cf-disk support, low power (~50W)

cf-disk support is pretty easy to add to lots of things.  With the advent
of 4GB compact flash modules and CF-to-IDE adapters, it is not too hard
to avoid rotating media...

OS:
Freebsd:
pros: very stable, quagge runs very well, fastforwarding support,

quagga OSPF needs a patch on FreeBSD 7, else it will decimate your OSPF
environment.

      simple traffic shaping, interrupt less polling supported

Several different traffic shaping strategies are available, and I think
all of them go far beyond "simple".

cons: only 1 route for each network, vrrp failover is not easy to
      implement with quagga and ospf, no multipath routing

carp seems easy to implement, even with quagga and ospf.  At least, it's
set up on a lab setup here and everything appears to work as expected.

... JG