nanog mailing list archives

RE: It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

From: "TJ" <trejrco () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:28:20 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin M. Streiner [mailto:streiner () cluebyfour org]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 3:18 PM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: It's Ars Tech's turn to bang the IPv4 exhaustion drum

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Deepak Jain wrote:

operational content: Is anyone significantly redesigning the way they
route/etc to take advantage of any hooks that IPv6 provides-for (even
if its a proprietary implementation)? As far as I can tell, most
people are just implementing it as IPv4 with a lot of bits (i.e. /126s
for link interfaces, etc).

There seem to be differing schools of thought on this, but personally I'm
leaning in this direction at least for network infrastructure.  Just
because
IPv6 provides boatloads more space doesn't mean that I like wasting
addresses :)

Another side of that argument is operational complexity ... /126's do make
the addresses harder (as a previous poster mentioned) as well as inducing
other potential headaches (reserved address to watch out for, requiring
another route to get to a client's network, etc).  That is why the official
answer is to always use /64s, even on PtP links.  This is one area where the
real world and the IETF don't always agree, and in this case that can be OK.

jms

/TJ