nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Problems sending mail from .mumble

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:06:15 -0400

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:47:04 PDT, Eric Brunner-Williams said:

The issue is whether "exe" in the root will break something. Rather than
just ask for a few well-known suffixes, and forgetting some, and leaving
out "ps" as it is already assigned to a ccTLD, I've picked on the
MIME-TYPE set of labels.

Are you asking about actual MIME times 'text.plain', 'application.ps', and
so on, or are you asking about the labels that one popular operating system
sometimes uses to denote them, such as .exe, .ps and so on?  Some of us use
systems that don't insist on extensions - and the major one that does has
a history of doing so poorly (how many times have we seen something with
a name of foo.exe labelled an image/jpg and ending up executed rather than
displayed?)