nanog mailing list archives

Re: Problems sending mail to yahoo?

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:29:08 -0500 (CDT)

Barry Shein wrote:
Is it just us or are there general problems with sending email to
yahoo in the past few weeks? Our queues to them are backed up though
they drain slowly.

They frequently return:

       421 4.7.0 [TS01] Messages from MAILSERVERIP temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see
http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts01.html

    (where MAILSERVERIP is one of our mail server ip addresses)
Just wondering if this was a widespread problem or are we just so
blessed, and any insights into what's going on over there.

I see this a lot also and what I see causing it is accounts on my servers
that don't opt for spam filtering and they have their accounts here set to
forward mail to their yahoo.com accounts - spam and everything then gets
sent there - they complain to yahoo.com about the spam and bingo - email
delays from here to yahoo.com accounts....

We had this happen when a user forwarded a non-filtered mail stream from
here to Yahoo.  The user indicated that no messages were reported to Yahoo
as spam, despite the fact that it's certain some of them were spam.

I wouldn't trust the error message completely.  It seems likely that a jump
in volume may trigger this too, especially of an unfiltered stream.

... JG