nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question on Loosely Synchronized Router Clocks

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:02:21 -0400

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:28:45 PDT, Kevin Oberman said:
I had a router that lost it's NTP servers and was off by about 20
minutes. The only obvious problem was the timestamps in syslog. (That's
what alarmed to cause us to notice and fix it.)

Trying to correlate logfiles with more than a several-second offset is
good and sufficient reason in itself to make sure everything is NTP-synched.

Of course, if your network runs so well that you never *notice* the offsets
because you never have to correlate logfiles, you're probably either a better
net admin than I, or merely more oblivious.. ;)