nanog mailing list archives

RE: Route table growth and hardware limits...talk to the filter

From: "Alex Rubenstein" <alex () corp nac net>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 09:30:15 -0400

The problem with this is that if you reject the routes initially and
then later need them, then they're not in your incoming BRIB to
reconsider.  BGP is an incremental protocol.  You can either save an
update or you can ignore it, but if you ignore it, it's just plain
gone.

If BGP is an incremental protocol (which of course, I know it is), why
doesn't a certain vendor treat it that way?

 *cough* BGP Scanner *cough*.

In any event, if the feature was implemented post-received routes (just
like prefix-lists were with soft-reconfig), having a copy of the table
that was sent to you by a peer, this would be trivial to do in code.
Would it be CPU intensive? Perhaps, but so is having 225k routes and
climbing. I'd submit that the CPU burned to do a route lookup on a
BGP-RIB when a route is withdrawn or announced to see if something less
specific exists would not in fact be that bad -- routing lookups, isn't
that what a router is supposed to do?

--
Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex () nac net, latency, Al Reuben
Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net