nanog mailing list archives

neighborhood densities (was: Internet Access in Japan, was: something else)

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:01:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 10/23/07, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:

While I'm sure you can find some row houses in
$big_city that have
old copper I find it hard to believe that "pre WWII
wire" is holding
us back.  Wasn't it Sprint back in like 1982 or 1984
made a big
deal about their entire long haul network being converted
to fiber?

You can also find them in $Medium_City - Washington DC has all kinds of old copper(aside: I just removed 4 old, unused
66 blocks from my home - I have no idea what the previous owners did with all that...).  As a reference data point,
consider the number of houses with aluminum electrical wiring - there is a brisk business for electricians in replacing
that, and those houses were unlikely to have high-quality phone wires laid to them.

Also, I've dealt with a whole lot of tall buildings in some large cities where the conduits are quite full, such that
technicans routinely reuse currently-in-use pairs.

What percentage of US high rises have fiber to the basement
and
high speed Internet offered to residents?  Shouldn't
NYC be on par
with Tokyo by this point?  Chicago?  Miami?

See above conduit issues.  There are certainly opportunities for a canny provider, but the difficulty is figuring out
how to get customers to shop on quantity rather than on price, because reusing the existing build will almost always be
cheaper than doing an overbuild.  The incumbent doesn't have much incentive - they're already capturing the money
there, and a challenger would need to be both better and cheaper.  That's possible, but not easy.

Doesn't the same model work for low rise apartments,
the kind found
in suburbia all across the US?  Why don't any of them
have building
provided services, rather relying on cable modems for ADSL
all the way
back to the CO?

If the number of prospective customers per fiber termination is lower than the density required to make a profit on the
service anytime soon, there is little incentive to do an overbuild.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com