nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAT v6->v4 and v4->v6 (was Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 )

From: Alain Durand <alain_durand () cable comcast com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 08:28:01 -0400

On 9/29/07 8:24 PM, "Mark Smith"
<nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org> wrote:

Hi Alain,

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:45:58 -0400
"Durand, Alain" <Alain_Durand () cable comcast com> wrote:

It is also becoming apparent that:

- the "core internet" (ie the web and any infrastructure server) will take
a long time to move to v6 and/or dual stack.

- new v6-only edges will have to communicate with it. So we need v6->v4
translation in the core

MPLS as well as the IETF softwires techniques (the MPLS
model without using MPLS i.e. tunnel from ingress to egress via
automated setup tunnels - gre, l2tp, or native IPv4 or IPv6) can or
will shortly be able to be used to tunnel IPv6 over IPv4 or vice versa.
softwires in effect treats the non-native core infrastructure as an
NBMA layer 2.

-----> Mark,

I¹m afraid my use of the word ³core internet² has confused you and others.
I was not talking about core backbone, but about all the infrastructure that
user
depend on, eg web servers, mail servers, streaming servers, p2p,....

Yes MPLS or Softwires will help you cross those core backbones, but won¹t do
much to
help content providers to upgrade to v6... The problems are very different
there.
I know we are network engineers and as such tend to see every problems as
network layer.
However, this is not a layer 3 issue but a layer 7 & 8:
getting the applications ported to v6 and paying for the upgrade.

    - Alain.