nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 00:40:00 +1200

On 27/05/2007, at 11:06 PM, Jeroen Massar wrote:

Nathan Ward wrote:
[..]
Isn't the driver going to be scarcity and/or expense of v4 addresses?

Sure, but it's not as simple as just giving v6 addresses to end users
one day, even if your entire network and backend systems support it.

Why not? If folks are still using Windows 98 by then I surely hope
they can't have any connectivity to the Internet. The word "SpamDrone"
comes to mind for those old versions. As Windows XP is already out for
the last couple of years and has fully working IPv6 support, Vista is
there also with fully working IPv6 support, the OS should definitely
not be a problem anymore. For folks without money, all the Open
Sourcish OS's also do IPv6 perfectly fine, some even already from the
installer.

Because for IPv6 to be useful to the masses, content is required. As I alluded to, getting content to move to IPv6 isn't terribly easy, and I don't think that proxying/NATing is a great solution, either.

If you were an end user, calling up your ISP to get a new DSL line, and were told you couldn't have an IPv4 address, only IPv6, and "Sorry sir,
[..]

Your grandma really doesn't know what "IP" is, nor will she ever care.
<stuff>

So, I think I can sum up your reply by saying that your suggestion is to provide a lesser service than we do now (v4 NAT, proxies, etc. sound to me like lesser service), during the transition period.

While I think that some degradation of service is inevitable, I believe that it would be better to minimise the lessening of service, and shorten the transition period, wouldn't you?

It occurs to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, but in your model of this transition there becomes little benefit to moving customers to IPv6 at all if being stuffed behind a v4 NAT or HTTP proxies counts as "Internet connectivity". Of course, I'm probably taking your suggestions to an extreme there.

[2] While
we're here, can someone point me in the direction of any ongoing
discussion/work in this area? I attended the APRICOT workshop, but where
to go to keep up with things/get involved isn't obvious.

As mentioned in various places: