nanog mailing list archives

Re: Slightly OT: Looking for an old domain for spam collection

From: Ken Simpson <ksimpson () mailchannels com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:05:45 -0700

The conclusion of that thread can be found here:
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg04555.html

Thanks!

A word of caution.  When attempting to collect IP address based abuse
information, spoofed BGP announcements MUST be tracked as well.  This
topic or even mention of ASNs was excluded in the "Guidelines for
Management of DNS-Based Reputation Systems for Email" written by Yakov
Shafranovich, Nick Nicholas, Matt Sergeant, and Chris Lewis and
published by Nick Nicholas on the ASRG reflector.  This paper ironically
excluded the role of the provider.

We're not going to be using the data as a honey pot, so it won't
affect anyone's reputation. This is really just for "real-world" load
testing and evaluation of new techniques.

Our customers get lots of mail, but we have to be -- how shall I say
-- careful with it!

A cooperative effort by providers is likely the _only_ viable solution
for dealing with this chronic problem.  Targeted abuse is also unlikely
to be detected from disposed MX domains, but will detect amateurs.

I agree whole-heartedly. What is particularly missing IMHO is a
spoofed-BGP-route blacklist. Anyone making any progress on that sort
of thing?

Regards,
Ken

--