nanog mailing list archives

RE: [funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:39:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 andrew2 () one net wrote:
we're worrying about FTTH when some of the largest carriers are still not
capable of delivering ethernet handoffs in some of those same top 30 cities.

so... 'ethernet handoff' to me is 'just another access media'. I had asked
at one point in time about this and part of the answer was: "people aren't
asking for it" which I thought odd since probably 50% of the people asking
me for 'can you get a sales person to call me about XXX' was 'a fast-e
handoff at ...' (or some form of 'ethernet'). Someone, a wise person, told
me that some carriers are more interested in selling 'pipe' than access, I
think he meant 'sonet pipe' or 'tdm pipe'. I think we'll see FTTX become
'just another access method' as well shortly. Afterall, what's the
difference between sonet/fttX/dsX/etherX if you just talk about last-mile
access? (surely gear in the lastmile matters here, but if you're rolling
it out to 150M locations what's 1% more locations for 'business access'?)