nanog mailing list archives

Re: [funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:45:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Roland Dobbins wrote:

On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Chris L. Morrow wrote:

what business drivers are there to put more bits on the wire to
the end user?

BitTorrent.

which uses all available bandwidth on the user link, and can/does play
nicely with other user apps... It's not a reason for $TELCO to want to add
more BW to your link though.

I suppose what I was asking is: Is there a better/faster/cheaper
alternative to your 2 incumbant solutions $TELCO || $CABLECO ?

If there were then I bet $TELCO || $CABLECO would drop prices and speed up
links... since there isn't I think we're all lucky we're not still using a
110baud coupler modem :)

;>

And on-demand DVR-type things which I believe will grow in
popularity.  Of course, most of those are overlays which the SPs
themselves don't offer; when they wish to do so, it'll become an
issue, IMHO.

again, these are user apps that depend on the higher BW available, they
don't drive the business to change, really. It seems to me that currently
the DVR/on-demand folks are basically walking the ledge hoping that as
they bring new features the telco's/cableco's will play nice and add
bandwidth to make these services 'work'... That might not last, there
certainly is no real reason that $TELCO || $CABLECO would be driven to
change, aside from 'goodness of their hearts' or 'hey maybe we want to
increase BW so we can offer a spiffy DVR-ish thing to our customers and
get more revenue on our flagging last-mile circuits?'

-Chris