nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN registrar supporting v6 glue?

From: "Chris L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow () verizonbusiness com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:11:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Barrett Lyon wrote:

If you deploy dual-stack, it is much easier to keep doing the DNS
queries
using IPv4 transport, and there is not any practical advantage in
doing so
with IPv6 transport.

Thanks Jordi, not to sound too brash but, I'm already doing so.  I am
trying not to deploy a hacked v6 service which requires an incumbent
legacy protocol to work.

Of course, is nice to have IPv6 support in as many DNS
infrastructure pieces
as possible, and a good signal to the market. Many TLDs already do,
and the
root servers are moving also in that direction. Hopefully then the
rest of
the folks involved in DNS move on.

I would like to support v6 so a native v6 only user can still
communicate with my network, dns and all, apparently in practice that
is not easy to do, which is somewhat ironic given all of the v6 push
lately.  It also seems like the roots are not even fully supporting
this properly?

there are providers that have (in the US even if that matters) ipv6
connected auth servers, that could even help. I can't seem to make one of
them want to be a registrar too :( but... maybe Ultra/Neustar could do
that for you?