nanog mailing list archives

Re: peter lothberg's mother slashdotted

From: Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox () packetrade com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:33:16 +0100

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 07:04:56AM -0400, Robert Blayzor wrote:

Jeff Kell wrote:
If we continue along orders of magnitude, sure it's foreseeable.

* 30 years ago, 300 baud was the bomb :-)
*              3000 baud was roughly 2400bps days
*             30000 baud gets us to ~28.8k
*            300000 baud was about 2 ISDN lines (2x128k)
*           3000000 baud is about typical cable these days (3m)

Well using your logic, then it's partially true that 40G is not any time
soon.  Especially considering fiber is in less than 1% of homes.  Lets
not forget that all of the above has been established on existing
facilities that have been in homes for 30-50+ years.

hmm.. at least here in the UK cable companies built out during the 90s in just a few years covering a large % of the
population. upgrades in CO technology (DSLAMs etc) seems to occur every 4-5yrs too so I dont think anything radical can
be considered unachievable if you allow 5-10yrs for rollout

You say 30 years ago, and lets roughly estimate it's four to five years
between those technologies above, which gets us to today.  It's going to
take at least another 5 years to consider FTTP "the norm" at say 30M,
maybe sooner with technologies with DOCSIS 2.0, etc.  So...

30M    Is Today +4/5 years
300M   Is Today +8/10 years
3G     Is Today +12/15 years
30G    Is Today +16/20 years

I was thinking about this bandwidth question recently too altho a bit differently.

1991 = 14.4kbps dialup
1994 = 28kbps dialup
1995 = 33kbps
1996 = 56kbps dialup
2000 = 512k dsl
2006 = 10Mb cable/dsl

approximately speaking we increase an order of magnitude every 5 years, so perhaps we can expect:

2010 = 50Mb
2015 = 500Mb
2020 = 5Gb
2025 = 50Gb

so our estimates are similar :)

my guess is that wont be achieved with OC768 either.. i dont know if we can go that far with copper but it wouldnt
surprise me.

Steve

If it's sooner all the better.  Keeping in mind, installations like
Verizon FiOS don't run dedicated strands of glass to each home, they use
PON.  So achieving anywhere near 40G on even the existing stuff they're
running into homes may not be possible for quite some time...

PS -- baud != bps

-Robert