nanog mailing list archives

Re: Phishing and BGP Blackholing

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 21:52:26 -0500

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 17:02:02 PST, "Joy, Dylan" said:
I'm curious if anyone can answer whether there has been any traction
made relative to blocking egress traffic (via BGP) on US backbones which
is destined to IP addresses used for fraudulent purposes, such as
phishing sites.

I'm sure there are several challenges to implementing this...

Well, there's the whole "collateral damage" issue - often, these things pop up
on hosting sites, where trying to null-route www.phishers-r-us.com will
also break access to several thousand other domains hosted on the same
set of hardware (notice that same exact issue of collateral damage ended
up derailing a Pennsylvania law regarding the blocking of sites hosting
child pornography).

Then there's the whole trust issue - though the Team Cymru guys do an awesome
job doing the bogon feed, it's rare that you have to suddenly list a new
bogon at 2AM on a weekend.  And there's guys that *are* doing a good job
at tracking down and getting these sites mitigated, they prefer to get the
sites taken down at the source.  I'm not sure they would *want* to be trying
to do a BGP feed.

NOTICE: This communication and any attachments may contain privileged or
otherwise confidential information.

After you post to NANOG, it's not confidential, no matter what your legal eagles
pretend.