nanog mailing list archives

Re: RPSL question

From: md () Linux IT (Marco d'Itri)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 02:53:33 +0100

On Feb 16, Andreas Voellmy <andreas.voellmy () gmail com> wrote:

I'm trying to learn about BGP and just ran across RPSL. I've seen
www.radb.net and know that lots of people are registering their policies
here. Are organizations also using these RPSL policies to compile
configuration files for their routers (via RtConfig)? Or do they just
maintain their RPSL policies and router configurations separately?
A few sites do, but I do not think there are many considering how hard
it is to express using RPSL a real complete configuration for a whole
network.

Since RtConfig used to be unreliable on modern Linux systems (I do not
know if the last release has been improved in this regard) I wrote my
own tool which generates as-path and prefix-list filters (and uRPF ACLs)
for customers and peers using the IRR data and local configuration files
listing the neighbors:
http://www.linux.it/~md/rpsltool-1.2.tgz

My opinion is that maintaining an aut-num object for the purpose of
generating your own configuration is pointless, but maintaining proper
route and as-set objects will greatly help your peers to build their
filters. (Yes, another of these situations where your actions will only
benefit the rest of the Internet and vice versa).

--
ciao,
Marco