nanog mailing list archives

tracking fiber assets

From: Frank Coluccio <frank () dticonsulting com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 00:59:23 -0600

Daniel,

Ordinarily, I might suggest a straightforward
software-based cable management system. However,
since your list of concerns also includes active
elements and their wavelength and probably sub-
lambda derivatives, you'll probably want something
that's rule-based with a bit more smarts.

Give a look at the "One Plan" system from
VPIsystems Inc (Holmdel, NJ). It was written
up recently in Lightwave Magazine:

http://tinyurl.com/25q88n

One Plan has a photonic-layer inventory and
configuration module that will very likely
satisfy your needs at the cable, strand and
multimplexed levels, and then some. Whether
or not it is available as a standalone module,
however, I can't rightly say. Good Luck.

Frank A. Coluccio
DTI Consulting Inc.
New York City
347-526-6788
fcoluccio () dticonsulting com
-------

On Thu Feb 15 18:52 , Daniel J McDonald  sent:

What do people use to keep track of fiber-optic assets?  We own fiber on
electric transmission lines - a hundred spans or so, mostly 24-48 count,
about 800-900 total route-miles.  But we lack a tool to keep track of
what is in use, which customers would be affected when we perform
maintenance, and the like.

Any suggestions for good tools to manage this would be most appreciated.
Our spreadsheets, CAD drawings, and directories full of OTDR shots are
just not cutting it.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy