nanog mailing list archives

Re: Every incident is an opportunity (was Re: Hackers hit key Internet traffic computers)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 03:23:26 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:45:41AM -0500,
 Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com> wrote
 a message of 16 lines which said:

The important lesson is you can educate people. The content may have
been bogus,

<snip>

If you can come up with a few simple things to do, it is possible to
reach most of the public.

Sure, just find these few simple things that will actually improve
security. (My personal one would be "Erase MS-Windows and install
Ubuntu". If we are ready to inconvenience ordinary workers with
computer security, this one would be a good start.)

As a very smart person said a couple of weeks ago when this same argument
was made: are you willing to do tech-support for my mother is she uses
linux?

        Gadi.